Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Frozen Watermelon Cubes

Life has a funny way of catching up with you. It's been a while since my last post. The kids and I went on vacation about a week after they went on Summer break. We spent about 3 weeks with my in-laws. We had a great time even though we didn't get a chance to get around to everything we had wanted to do. I've tried to carry on and get some more of my "To Do" projects done. Some have been successful and some not so much.


Recently, we bought a watermelon, and I knew we wouldn't be able to get through it before it spoiled. It is just the way it goes around here. We eat half, and I always tell myself I'll get around to cutting the last half. It never happens, and I hate wasting food. I tried to think of how I could make the other half of our watermelon last before it went bad. The idea popped into my head about cubing it and freezing it. I've seen a project where they cut the watermelon into triangles, stuck a popsicle stick in it and then froze it. If that works, then why can't cubing and freezing it work?


It couldn't hurt. Afterall, it would probably be the same story as always, and the poor, neglected second half would spoil before I could prepare it's good, juicy goodness for snacking.


I started by cutting the second half in half, and then I quartered it.

Next, I sliced it into approximately 1 inch slices (some were bigger, some were smaller)
Next, I chopped off as much of the rind as I could, without chopping too much edible fruit.
Next, I cubed the watermelon into about 1/2 inch pieces, and I removed any undesirable pieces, to include any pieces with rind on it. You know what you and your family likes. Mine won' t eat anything close to the rind.
I placed all of the pieces of watermelon on two trays. Technically, it isn't a full half watermelon, since all four of my kids kept looking me with puppy dog eyes. Even booga baby kept coming over and yelling at me for more watermelon.
These trays were in the freezer for approximately 14 hours, but they were fully frozen within 2-3 hours.

Bag it up, and keep it in the freezer for a quick frozen treat during these long, hot summer days.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment